3.19.2009

Good Read

I read things that are not classics because I drudge through that all day long, mostly. I love Jodi Picoult. Love her. Most of her books rock; there have been a few strange ones that I have had to stop reading: The Songs of The Humpback Whale and Second Glance. I just couldn't get into them.

I recently finished Nineteen Minutes and My Sister's Keeper. Loved them. I am now onto Handle With Care. This is a hard book for me to read because of the subject matter.

Here is the synopsis: When Charlotte and Sean O’Keefe’s daughter, Willow, is born with severe osteogenesis imperfecta, they are devastated – she will suffer hundreds of broken bones as she grows, a lifetime of pain. As the family struggles to make ends meet to cover Willow’s medical expenses, Charlotte thinks she has found an answer. If she files a wrongful birth lawsuit against her ob/gyn for not telling her in advance that her child would be born severely disabled, the monetary payouts might ensure a lifetime of care for Willow. But it means that Charlotte has to get up in a court of law and say in public that she would have terminated the pregnancy if she’d known about the disability in advance – words that her husband can’t abide, that Willow will hear, and that Charlotte cannot reconcile. And the ob/gyn she’s suing isn’t just her physician – it’s her best friend.

There is a scene in which they discover, in utereo, that something is wrong with their unborn daughter. I almost cried while reading it.

Here are the rest of her books and I suggest you read the ones I have read (marked):
Handle With Care - currently reading
Change of Heart
Nineteen Minutes - suggest
The Tenth Circle
Vanishing Acts
My Sisters Keeper - suggest
Second Glance - not great
Perfect Match
Salem Falls - suggest
Plain Truth - suggest
Keeping Faith
The Pact
Mercy - suggest
Picture Pefect
Harvesting the Heart - suggest
Songs of the Humpback Whale - not great

2 comments:

Simi said...

I <3 her books also!
I know one or two were a little rough to get through but NOW I can't recall which they were... I have Handle with Care on hold @ Library... :) Probably a billionth on the wait list for it :p

Anonymous said...

I have read Nineteen Minutes and My Sisters Keeper. Both very good!