12.28.2009

This pisses me off to no end.

Today, at work, a woman and her young daughter came to my register. The girl was hugging her mother's leg and being very well behaved. She kept saying, “I love you mommy.” Suddenly, her mom jerked her leg and said, "Get off!" The young girl walked 15 feet behind her mother the whole way to their car.

Okay. Why you ask? The answer is both an abvious one and a complex one. Obviously, it's shitty. Simple. As a mom, I cannot imagine doing that to Gracyn. I was heartbroken for the little girl when I read this.

The complex: I know people who would kill to have that child, let alone have that child hang on them like that. It's bullshit that every day people are blessed with kids who they do not deserve. Then, more often than not, said kids grow up neglected and deficient in numerous ways. I should know, I teach at-risk high school kids.

I guess what burns my ass the most is that I don't understand it. As a spiritual person, I understand that G-d has a larger plan in mind for each person (which, by the way, I am so glad that I am Jewish and that we are encouraged to question in order to fully understand our own relationship with G-d). But still. It is so not fair. If I could pluck that little girl up and give her to my friend Cindy or the lady from Losing The Baby Wait I so freaking would.

No comments: