In the movie The Incredibles, they talk a lot about celebrating mediocrity and the frivolous celebration of nothing. Why do we do that? Celebrate nothing and make being average (synonym of mediocre) a great thing? What does that make less than average? If a C- is good, then a D- is fine and an F is what?
This is all coming in to my mind because I am starting my new job (kind-of; I have PD this week) tomorrow and I am excited. I know the people I am going to be under and they are the counter opposite of those that I used to work for. I can't wait to be appreciated for the hard work that I do and to be valued for my 110%.
And, I look at my daughter and I think about how she'll be perceived by others if this is the way that we, as society, judge things. I think she is above average on most things. But, does her birth defect make others view her as more or less of a person, as having more or less capabilities/possibility?
Who knows the answer to that, but I do know this. at the end of the day C's are not okay if you could've gotten a B and using this rationale and, applying it to the two life circumstances above, doing less of a job because no one cares is wrong and having one hand isn't an excuse to not try an cure cancer. So, in conclusion, I vow to be the teacher I was born to be and to hell with those that celebrate the mediocrity and I vow that Gracyn will not allow her disability to hinder her from doing something that she sets her heart out to do.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
I totally agree with this. I think it's great you're going to help Gracyn do everything is able to and more. Just as an example, I know 2 guys with the same type of disablity, but one was told he had to just work harder and the other was told he didn't have to try as hard. Now that they are in their 20s, one has a college degree & the other is on government assistance. Some things definitely come down to nurture vs nature.
Post a Comment