We meet with the hand surgeon on Friday. It's the first time we'll actually meet Dr. Popp and the first time he'll see her actual hand and not just an ultrasound picture.
I think that he'll be happy with what she has. They anticipated that it was nothing but fatty tissue from the wrist down. What she actually has a lot more. She has bone or cartilage, some movement of the three middle finger buds, and uses it to grip and do things like hold her binky in her mouth, etc.
I am full of emotions about this. I am excited, of course, but I am also scared and anxious and nervous and a zillion other things. What if we get there and he wants to remove her thumb and pinky? We understand that they are essentially skin tags, but still we'd have to authorize that and that is a really emotional decision. What if he says it's as good as it's gets and that there is nothing more that they can do? Then what? Then there is the whole aspect of surgery. How many is too many? And, at what age is it too young, too many, too much in general? Will kids be mean to her about it? What will I say to console her when she comes home in tears about something that someone said? Where will she wear her wedding ring? These are my, her, realities. Things that we have to face as a family. All these things run through my mind and I get overwhelmed and emotional about it.
I am grateful for the fact that of things to have wrong it's just her hand. I am grateful that it wasn't a worse case of ABS. We are blessed and I am thankful for her every day. We have a beautiful daughter who has so much spunk, motivation, and heart already that I can only imagine what a wonderful person she will become and what feats she will conquer despite her hand.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment